Courage Integrity Assertiveness Confidence Restraint

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

You've got CHARACTER!


So much advice is given to teens and some of that advice isn't necessarily over your head but it is out of your reach simply because you haven't been given the tools to do what the advice is suggesting.

People tell teens, "Be yourself."

But the mixed messages of the media confuse you and most of you are probably not even sure WHO you are. Your brains and bodies are still developing, you are getting comfortable (or trying to) within your own skin and now you are supposed to figure out WHO "yourself" is?

This is a tough assignment.

I thought today we would take a look at CHARACTER TRAITS. Some of these traits come naturally and some we have to practice to become good at them. But they are all worth the effort. If you see a trait and you think, "Wow! That is totally me!" Then you are starting to identify WHO you are.

WHO you were created to be starts with those traits that come naturally.

We can't all be good at EVERY one and some can feel just plain out of our reach but these are good goals to set and good traits to be aware of.

Now grab a piece of paper...
  • make a list of the ones that come natural to you
  • jot down the ones you want to try harder to achieve
Post this slip of paper on your mirror and be aware of when you can practice using each one! Stay true to the ones you have chosen - in EVERY situation! Don't let WHO is looking or WHO is listening change the way you react to someone/something.

Stay TRUE to your character in ALL situations - this is called INTEGRITY!

This list was made available through Character-Training.com:

Alertness – Being aware of what is taking place around me so I can have the right responses.
Attentiveness – Showing the worth of a person or task by giving my undivided concentration.
Availability – Making my own schedule and priorities secondary to the wishes of those I serve.
Benevolence – Giving to others basic needs without having as my motive personal reward.
Boldness – Confidence that what I have to say or do is true, right, and just.
Cautiousness – Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions.
Compassion – Investing whatever is necessary to heal the hurts of others.
Contentment – Realizing that true happiness does not depend on material conditions.
Creativity – Approaching a need, a task, or an idea from a new perspective.
Decisiveness – The ability to recognize key factors and finalize difficult decisions.
Deference – Limiting my freedom so I do not offend the tastes of those around me.
Dependability – Fulfilling what I consented to do, even if it means unexpected sacrifice.
Determination – Purposing to accomplish right goals at the right time, regardless of the opposition.
Diligence – Investing my time and energy to complete each task assigned to me.
Discernment – Understanding the deeper reasons why things happen.
Discretion – Recognizing and avoiding words, actions, and attitudes that could bring undesirable consequences.
Endurance – The inward strength to withstand stress and do my best.
Enthusiasm – Expressing joy in each task as I give it my best effort.
Faith – Confidence that actions rooted in good character will yield the best outcome, even when I cannot see how.
Flexibility – Willingness to change plans or ideas according to the direction of my authorities.
Forgiveness – Clearing the record of those who have wronged me and not holding a grudge.
Generosity – Carefully managing my resources so I can freely give to those in need.
Gentleness – Showing consideration and personal concern for others.
Gratefulness – Letting others know by my words and actions how they have benefited my life.
Honor – Respecting those in leadership because of the higher authorities they represent.
Hospitality – Cheerfully sharing food, shelter, or conversation to benefit others.
Humility – Acknowledging that achievement results from the investment of others in my life.
Initiative – Recognizing and doing what needs to be done before I am asked to do it.
Joyfulness – Maintaining a good attitude, even when faced with unpleasant conditions.
Justice – Taking personal responsibility to uphold what is pure, right, and true.
Loyalty – Using difficult times to demonstrate my commitment to those I serve.
Meekness – Yielding my personal rights and expectations with a desire to serve.
Obedience – Quickly and cheerfully carrying out the direction of those who are responsible for me.
Orderliness – Arranging myself and my surroundings to achieve greater efficiency.
Patience – Accepting a difficult situation without giving a deadline to remove it.
Persuasiveness – Guiding vital truths around another’s mental roadblocks.
Punctuality – Showing esteem for others by doing the right thing at the right time.
Resourcefulness – Finding practical uses for that which others would overlook or discard.
Responsibility – Knowing and doing what is expected of me.
Security – Structuring my life around that which cannot be destroyed or taken away.
Self-Control – Rejecting wrong desires and doing what is right.
Sensitivity – Perceiving the true attitudes and emotions of those around me.
Sincerity – Eagerness to do what is right with transparent motives.
Thoroughness – Knowing what factors will diminish the effectiveness of my work or words if neglected.
Thriftiness – Allowing myself and others to spend only what is necessary.
Tolerance – Realizing that everyone is at varying levels of character development.
Truthfulness – Earning future trust by accurately reporting past facts.
Virtue – The moral excellence evident in my life as I consistently do what is right.
Wisdom – Seeing and responding to life situations from a perspective that transcends my current circumstances.


I would love to hear your comments on the process you used for making your list and what you learned about yourself as you chose the traits that come naturally to you. Leave your comments!!

No comments:

Post a Comment